Subject: Re: BetacamSP demanding
From: [email-masked] (Douglas Nakakihara )
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 15:40:49 -0800

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996 Stephen Bowie wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Douglas Nakakihara wrote:
>> 
>> I would recommend getting an Exabyte tape drive. Do everything up to the 
>> final rendered animation on your VLab. You can then transfer the final 
>> rendered frames to the Exabyte drive in Abekas format. You'll also need 
ADPro
>>  with the Abekas saver/loader.
>
>> Then take the tape down to a post house and have them transfer the frames 
to 
>> an Abekas machine.
>
>
>Can you give us some ballpark figures for the costs involved in this, Doug?

Stephen:

I think my Exabyte drive was about $2,000 brand new. I believe there were 
somewhat cheaper models available though. The Post house charges $175/hr and 
I think I can do about one frame every two seconds. I pass this cost directly 
onto the client. You'll have to contact NoahJis regarding ADpro, but I'd 
guess around $100 considering the program's age.

Don't be confused by the fact that ImageFX supports the Abekas image format. 
It does, but it doesn't support the Exabyte tape drive.

Assuming (as someone else pointed out) that you have access to a Post house 
with an Exabyte drive, this is absolutely the cheapest way for an Amiga user 
to get the ultimate quality in video. I like the fact that I don't have to 
carry the cost of maintaining equipment I'd use rarely. Plus the Exabyte can 
be used as a backup device for Vlab.

-- 
   ////   Douglas J. Nakakihara
   * *     ELECTRICAL LANGUAGE
    ~        Simi Valley, CA